Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm a blogger! Who would have known...

The world is going crazy. I realize it's gone crazy before, but now I'm one of the adults. This begs the assumption that I have some wisdom to offer or that minimally I can control my emotions and act like I'm under control. Therein lies the rub. I'm a babyboomer born in the 50"s. My parents worked hard to make sure I had the material things and opportunities they never had. Being a good little boomer, I have grown way too accustomed to my priviledged lifestyle. I've seen hunger on the pages of Life Magazine, but sacrifice to me is eating at home versus going out. I know that I sound like a total spoiled brat, but I don't think I'm that different from my fellow boomers.
If "normal" keeps spinning out of control, it will be interesting to see if we boomers can stand with fortitude and set an example of living with hardship that would make our grandparents proud. Will we lead the way in fighting for the values of America that are quickly being swept away or quietly continue to pretend it will all get better. I see the America of capitalism, rugged individualism, self sufficiency and gratitude to a loving God being replaced by a desire for the government as god to take over all aspects of our lives.
Well, I guess I've ranted enough for my first blog. Since I didn't know I had anything to say, it will be interesting to see what comes out next time!

1 comment:

S.M.K. said...

Government as God: Well stated. Though I think rugged capitalism is part of this problem, I think you have made a quite unique observation. To what sacrifice are we, as Americans in a postmodern, relative world willing to make so as to maintain our way of life?

Here is another quandary: if the boomers have grown accustomed to the "fancy things of life" has this mentality grown endemic in the generation presently coming of age. If so, is there an answer?